Hornsea, East Riding of Yorkshire


Rough Sea, Hornsea
Postmarked 1913
Pubisher: Valentine

Google Street View.

By the late 18th century it had become fashionable for wealthy people to visit the seaside, mainly for health reasons, and sea bathing became popular. Hornsea benefited from this and, in addition, possessed the added attraction of a mineral spring, whose water was believed to be medicinal. During the summer months Hornsea played a host to visitors who came to ‘take the waters’. . . . Hornsea was transformed in the latter half of the 19th century. The paramount reason for this was the opening of the railway from Hull in 1864. It was now possible for middle class tradesmen, industrialists and even clerical workers to carry out their business in Hull but live in Hornsea. This led to a building boom which saw the erection of houses in Railway Street, Wilton Terrace, New Road, Eastbourne Road and elsewhere.
Visit Hornsea

Bayle Gate, Bridlington, East Yorkshire


Bayle Gate, Bridlington
c.1910
Publisher: Valentine

Google Street View.

The word Bayle (pronounced Bay-ul) is derived from the French word Baille meaning ‘enclosure’ or ‘ward’. Archaeological surveys have concluded the original stonework dates to the 12th Century when it is originally thought to have been a gatehouse to a wooden palisade castle built by William Le Gros in 1143, although little information remains as to the further use of the building until the early 14th Century.

In the 14th Century the Bayle Gate was adapted to become the Gatehouse to the Bridlington Priory; the ground floor of the then 2 storey building housed a Porter and an Almoner. The role of the Porter was to monitor the comings and goings of the people, take tolls for the entrance to the Priory markets and receive visitors. The Almoner distributed food and ale to the poor of Bridlington. The first floor rooms were likely used as guest rooms as in other monasteries of the region.

Since the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII the Bayle Gate has been used for a number of purposes, sometimes simultaneously. Prior uses include a Prison, a Court of the town, a Schoolroom for merchant’s apprentices, a Garrison for Napoleonic soldiers on route to Scarborough Castle, a Town Hall and a meeting room for the Lords Feoffees.
The Bayle Museum