The Churchyard, St Mary’s Scilly
Publisher: F. Hartmann, 1902-1909
The Anglican church of St Mary was built at Old Town, Isles of Scilly during the 12th century, perhaps around 1130. Re-building was carried out between 1660 and 1667 including the addition of the south aisle, and a west end gallery for soldiers from the Garrison. Further improvements were made in 1743 when the east end was rebuilt. . . . The churchyard of Old Town church serves as the principal cemetery for the island of St Mary’s. Over the centuries countless members of the old Scilly families have been buried here, as have been the crews of numerous ships lost near the Isles.