Cambridge. St John’s Gate & Divinity School.
Publisher: Boots Cash Chemist
St John’s College is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge (the full, formal name of the college is the College of St John the Evangelist in the University of Cambridge) founded by the Tudor matriarch Lady Margaret Beaufort. . . . The site was originally occupied by the Hospital of St John the Evangelist, probably founded around 1200. The hospital infirmary was located where the east end of the current chapel now stands. By 1470 Thomas Rotherham Chancellor of the university, extended to the hospital the privileges of membership of the university. This led to St. John’s House, as it was then known, being conferred the status of a college. By the early 16th century the hospital was dilapidated and suffering from a lack of funds. Lady Margaret Beaufort, having endowed Christ’s College sought to found a new college, and chose the hospital site at the suggestion of John Fisher, her chaplain and Bishop of Rochester. However, Lady Margaret died without having mentioned the foundation of St John’s in her will, and it was largely the work of Fisher that ensured that the college was founded. He had to obtain the approval of King Henry VIII of England, the Pope through the intermediary Polydore Vergil, and the Bishop of Ely to suppress the religious hospital, by which time held only a Master and three Augustinian brethren, and convert it to a college.
The college received its charter on 9 April 1511. Further complications arose in obtaining money from the estate of Lady Margaret to pay for the foundation and it was not until 22 October 1512 that a codicil was obtained in the court of the Archbishop of Canterbury. In November 1512 the Court of Chancery allowed Lady Margaret’s executors to pay for the foundation of the college from her estates. When Lady Margaret’s executors took over they found most of the old Hospital buildings beyond repair, but repaired and incorporated the Chapel into the new college. A kitchen and hall were added, and an imposing gate tower was constructed for the College Treasury. The doors were to be closed each day at dusk, sealing the monastic community from the outside world. Over the course of the following five hundred years, the college expanded westwards towards the River Cam, and now has twelve courts, the most of any Oxford or Cambridge College.
Bridge of Sighs.
Entrance Gate. St John’s College. Cambridge.
Entrance Gate, St. John’s College.–This is the second largest College in Cambridge, and was founded in 1511 on the site of St. John’s Hospital, which dated from the 12th century. Part of the College buildings overlook the river, which is spanned by two bridges belonging to St John’s, one the famous “Bridge of Sighs.”
Publisher: Raphael Tuck & Sons
Cambridge, St John’s College, Entrance Gate.
Publisher: Francis Frith & Co, Reigate
St. John’s College Chapel. Cambridge.
Publisher: Siegmund Hildesheimer & Co (1830-1920)