London, Catholic Cathedral, Westminster
On the back:
A Landmark of Westminster, made prominent by its high campanile and byzantine style of structure. From design by by the late J.F. Bentley. When completed will be the handsomest Catholic Cathedral in England. The Eucharistic Congress specially represented from Rome, and the subsequent procession of Catholic Dignitaries rarely if even seen before in England created a prominence of public interest unparalleled in recent years. A part of old Tothill Fields prison formerly occupied this site.
Publisher: J.J. Corbyn, Westminster, London
Virtual tour (official website)
In the late 19th century, the Roman Catholic Church’s hierarchy had only recently been restored in England and Wales, and it was in memory of Cardinal Wiseman (who died in 1865, and was the first Archbishop of Westminster from 1850) that the first substantial sum of money was raised for the new cathedral. The land was acquired in 1884 by Wiseman’s successor, Cardinal Manning, having previously been occupied by the second Tothill Fields Bridewell prison. After two false starts in 1867 (under architect Henry Clutton) and 1892 (architect Baron von Herstel), construction started in 1895 under Manning’s successor, the third archbishop, Cardinal Vaughan, with John Francis Bentley as architect, and built in a style heavily influenced by Byzantine architecture.
The cathedral opened in 1903, a year after Bentley’s death. One of the first public services in the cathedral was Cardinal Vaughan’s requiem; the cardinal died on 19 June 1903. For reasons of economy, the decoration of the interior had hardly been started and still much remained to be completed. Under the laws of the Catholic Church at the time, no place of worship could be consecrated unless free from debt and having its fabric completed. The consecration ceremony took place on 28 June 1910, although the interior was never finished.
Le Zeppelin abattu a Compiegne 17 Mars 1917
From New York Times:
ZEPPELIN SHOT DOWN CREW OF 30 KILLED
French Anti-Aircraft Guns Reach Raider at a Height of More Than Two Miles.
WAS COMING FROM LONDON
Crew, After Being Hit, Throw Over Bombs, Which Fail to Explode
Some of the Crew Jump to Death
PARIS, March 17 — A Zeppelin, which probably participated in the attack on London last night, was brought down by anti-aircraft guns near Compiegne, about thirty miles from Paris, at 5.30 this morning on the return flight to its base. The giant airship, which was flying at a height of more than two miles, was sighted before dawn, and the defense guns were put into action immediately. The dirigible was hit soon after being located, and, after bursting into flame, fell swiftly to the ground. All of the crew were lost.
(Rest of news story, although you have to log-in).
From end of the article:
London Announcement on Raid
LONDON, March 17 — The air raid last night was the first visit of Zeppelins in many months, and it seemed to have been expected, as it failed to cause any excitment, even amongst the homegoing theatregoers. The raiders were favored by a dark and moonless night.
Graf Zeppelin over Friedrichshafen, where it was built.
Probably the most successful of the German airships, the Graf Zeppelin operated a passenger service between 1928 and 1937. In 1920 it circumnavigating the globe in 3 week, including the first non-stop flight over the Pacific.
In this time between wars, the battle between airships and airplanes over who would dominate passenger services still hadn’t been decided. The zeppelins were slow, but could carry passengers further, and in luxury that the small, noisy planes couldn’t match.
These two pictures were on the same postcards. There are many single image cards and other photos showing war damage. There are some on the Great War in a Different Light site: a Personal Narrative of a Visit to the Ruined City and Ypres: the Unique City.
The Iron Pot is a chunk of rock at the mouth of the Derwent. The lighthouse “is significant for several reasons. It was the first lighthouse built in Tasmania, it is the second oldest lighthouse built in Australia, it is the oldest original tower in Australia, it was the first to utilise a locally made optic, and was the first Australian lighthouse to use solar power.”
History and legend are inseparable at Tintagel. From about the 5th to the 7th century AD it was an important stronghold, and probably a residence of rulers of Cornwall. Many fragments of luxury pottery imported from the Mediterranean were left behind by those who lived here. It was probably memories of this seat of Cornish kings that inspired the 12th-century writer Geoffrey of Monmouth to name it in his History of the Kings of Britain as the place where King Arthur was conceived, with the help of Merlin. At the same time, Cornish and Breton writers linked the love story of Tristan and Iseult with Tintagel. In turn, these associations with legend led the hugely rich and ambitious Richard, Earl of Cornwall, to build a castle here in the 1230s. The site was of no military value – legend alone seems to have inspired him to build here. And long after the castle had fallen into decay, its mythical associations kept interest in Tintagel alive.
In 1225, Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall traded with Gervase de Tintagel, swapping the land of Merthen (originally part of the manor of Winnianton) for Tintagel Castle. A castle was built on the site by Earl Richard in 1233 to establish a connection with the Arthurian legends that were associated by Geoffrey of Monmouth with the area and because it was seen as the traditional place for Cornish kings. The castle was built in a more old-fashioned style for the time to make it appear more ancient. . . . John Holland, 1st Duke of Exeter was appointed constable of Tintagel Castle in 1389. After Richard, the following Earls of Cornwall were not interested in the castle, and it was left to the High Sheriff of Cornwall. Parts of the accommodation were used as a prison and the land was let as pasture. The castle became more dilapidated, and the roof was removed from the Great Hall in the 1330s. Thereafter, the castle became more and more ruinous and there was progressive damage from the erosion of the isthmus that joined the castle to the mainland.
Publisher: Valentine Company