St Giles Cathedral from chancel looking west
Le Zeppelin abattu a Compiegne 17 Mars 1917
From New York Times:
ZEPPELIN SHOT DOWN CREW OF 30 KILLED
French Anti-Aircraft Guns Reach Raider at a Height of More Than Two Miles.
WAS COMING FROM LONDON
Crew, After Being Hit, Throw Over Bombs, Which Fail to Explode
Some of the Crew Jump to Death
PARIS, March 17 — A Zeppelin, which probably participated in the attack on London last night, was brought down by anti-aircraft guns near Compiegne, about thirty miles from Paris, at 5.30 this morning on the return flight to its base. The giant airship, which was flying at a height of more than two miles, was sighted before dawn, and the defense guns were put into action immediately. The dirigible was hit soon after being located, and, after bursting into flame, fell swiftly to the ground. All of the crew were lost.
(Rest of news story, although you have to log-in).
From end of the article:
London Announcement on Raid
LONDON, March 17 — The air raid last night was the first visit of Zeppelins in many months, and it seemed to have been expected, as it failed to cause any excitment, even amongst the homegoing theatregoers. The raiders were favored by a dark and moonless night.
Graf Zeppelin over Friedrichshafen, where it was built.
Probably the most successful of the German airships, the Graf Zeppelin operated a passenger service between 1928 and 1937. In 1920 it circumnavigating the globe in 3 week, including the first non-stop flight over the Pacific.
In this time between wars, the battle between airships and airplanes over who would dominate passenger services still hadn’t been decided. The zeppelins were slow, but could carry passengers further, and in luxury that the small, noisy planes couldn’t match.
These two pictures were on the same postcards. There are many single image cards and other photos showing war damage. There are some on the Great War in a Different Light site: a Personal Narrative of a Visit to the Ruined City and Ypres: the Unique City.
The Iron Pot is a chunk of rock at the mouth of the Derwent. The lighthouse “is significant for several reasons. It was the first lighthouse built in Tasmania, it is the second oldest lighthouse built in Australia, it is the oldest original tower in Australia, it was the first to utilise a locally made optic, and was the first Australian lighthouse to use solar power.”