Cambridge, King’s College Screen and Gate.
Letter on back dated 1918
Publisher: Francis Frith & Co, Reigate
King’s College is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge in Cambridge, England. Formally The King’s College of Our Lady and Saint Nicholas in Cambridge, the college lies beside the River Cam and faces out onto King’s Parade in the centre of the city. King’s was founded in 1441 by Henry VI soon after he had founded its sister college in Eton. However, the King’s plans for the college were disrupted by the Wars of the Roses and the resultant scarcity of funds, as well as his eventual deposition. Little progress was made on the project until in 1508 Henry VII began to take an interest in the college, most likely as a political move to legitimise his new position. The building of the college’s chapel, begun in 1446, was finally finished in 1544 during the reign of Henry VIII.
King’s College Chapel is regarded as one of the greatest examples of late Gothic English architecture. It has the world’s largest fan vault, while the chapel’s stained-glass windows and wooden chancel screen are considered some of the finest from their era.
Cambridge. King’s College Chapel.
Pubisher: Photochrom Co.