Destroyed by Allied bombing in 1944.
Duren Kultur: Peschschule (German)
La place d’armes d’Albert: images of destruction of Albert during WWI (in French, but mostly images).
Albert was founded as a Roman outpost, in about 54 BC. After being known by various forms of the name of the local river, the Ancre, it was renamed to Albert after it passed to Charles d’Albert, duc de Luynes. It was a key location in the Battle of the Somme in World War I . . . The German army recaptured the town in March 1918 during the Spring Offensive; the British, to prevent the Germans from using the church tower as a machine gun post, directed their bombardment against ‘imaginary’ trenches the other side of the basilica as orders specifically stopped them from targeting buildings in the town; the line of fire took the artillery through the basilica, thus it was destroyed. The statue fell in April 1918 and was never recovered. In August 1918 the Germans were again forced to retreat, and the British reoccupied Albert until the end of the war. Albert was completely reconstructed after the war, including widening and re-orienting the town’s main streets.
14 FERRYVILLE Rue Robin vers l’Eglise
Rue Robin, opposite the church
The church has apparently lost its spire in the intervening years.
11 FERRYVILLE Ecole Maternelle (façade)
Nursery School (Kindergarten) facade.
On Rue Imam Sahnoun, formerly Rue Jules Verne.
Laigueglia – Arches of Via Vittorio Emanuele.
This seems to be here (Google Street View)
Treppe zur Brühl schen Terrasse
Steps to Bruhl’s Terrace.
1900s (the building on the right is Brühl Palace, demolished 1900.)
After the Saxon defeat at the Battle of Leipzig and the occupation by Russian troops, military governor Prince Nikolai Grigorjevich Repnin-Wolkonski ordered the opening [of the terrace] to the public in 1814. He charged the architect Gottlob Friedrich Thormeyer with the building of a flight of stairs at the western end to reach the terrace from Castle Square and Augustus Bridge. The Brühl Palace was demolished in the course of the building of the Saxon Ständehaus in 1900.
The ensemble was totally destroyed in February 1945 when the city centre was heavily hit by the Allied Bombing of Dresden during the end phase of World War II. Today, it has been rebuilt; the precise amount restored is difficult to say as a percentage, but in general one can say the emsemble looks very much the same today as it did in the past.
Friedrich-Ebert-Platz, formally Cölnplatz, a roundabout in Düren. The conical building on the right was part of a water tower (1909-1945).
Illuminated fountain and water tower