Monkey, Hôtel Ruisseau Des Singes, Chiffa, Algeria


GORGES DE LA CHIFFA. – Chalet-Hotel du Ruisseau des Singes  – Amusement des Visiteurs
(Hotel of the River of Moneys – Entertainment for visitors)
Publisher: Photo Albert

Google Maps (location)

The charming mountain village of Chréa was the first ski resort created by the French in Algeria. It quickly became a famous resort. Its small wooden chalets almost reminded us of the Vosges or the Jura. The snow cover was capricious and the gradient was slight, but you could still enjoy skiing in winter. Nowadays, nobody skis on the spot during the winter season but the snowy landscapes remain grandiose. In summer, it is pleasant to go there to find some coolness and avoid the torrid heat of the Mitidja. At the site called “le Ruisseau des Singes” (because of the many monkeys that frequent the area and that you will see from the road), you will find a very pleasant hotel complex with cafeteria and restaurant.
Petit Futé Travel Guide: Chrea National Park

The House of Agnes, Canterbury, England


Canterbury “The House of Agnes” (“Dickens”)
1918-1921 (1d postage)
Publishers: E. Crow & Son, Canterbury

Google Street View.

The history of the House of Agnes goes back in the days when it was a travellers inn as far back as the 13th Century, and is so named as it was the home of Agnes Wickfield in Charles Dickens’ story David Copperfield. Several passages in the book describe aspects of both the exterior and interior of our historic building.
House of Agnes

The inn was one of a number built just outside the Westgate built during the 16th century to exploit the trade generated by visitors to the city. Those who did not arrive before the nightly curfew would have stayed here overnight. It is a three storied jettied timber framed house with three gables to the street frontage. In the late 17th century the first floor bay windows with round-headed centres were added and in the 18th century two ground floor bay windows.
Canterbury History and Archaeological Society

Hotel Lamartine, Amiens, France


1920-1940

No caption or other information. Probably a photo turned into a postcard.

Google Street View.

Over the door it says “G. Edwards/Late Australian Forces”.

A SOUTH AUSSIE’S WEDDING IN AMIENS CATHEDRAL.
A correspondent wrote to The Register from Amiens, in France, on April 12:— “In the thousands of homes in Australia represented by gallant sons the name of the city of Amiens is a household and historic memory, as well as the famous and noble cathedral which adorns it. The sons of Australia in the main were responsible for preventing the city from failing into the hands of the Germans, and thus they conserved for France and the Somme area a treasure of art and sentiment dear to the French nation. Following upon the Australians’ attack of August 8–just a week later–a memorable thanksgiving service was held in the holy edifice. This service was conducted from an improvised altar, which was draped with the Australian flag, at a later date dedicated and hung in the chancel.

This morning one of the most historic ceremonies ever performed in the cathedral took place, when Madamoselle Ernestine Sueur, of the Hotel Lamartine, Amiens, was united in the holy bonds of matrimony to Dvr. George Edwards, A.I.F., son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Edwards, Stanley Hotel. Clare, South Australia. By order of the holy dignataries of the cathedral the flag of Australia was temporarily removed from the chancel to the altar, at which the ceremony was performed, as a tribute to the Australian soldier, and the memory of Australia’s many gallant deeds. There were a large number of guests present, and the crowds of visitors thronged the cathedral to witness the memorable event, for Dvr. Edwards was the first British soldier to be married within the confines of the aged, sacred, and stately Gothic pile. Among the guests present were Mr. Russell Rayson, of Melbourne, and Capt. G. Bassett, base cashier for the British armies in France. Capt. Bassett, speaking at the sumptuous wedding breakfast, declared that it was the proudest moment of his life to be present at a digger’s wedding
The Register (Adelaide), 20 May 1920

Read more

Nagoya Hotel, Nagoya, Japan


The Nagoya Hotel, Nagoya, Japan
1900s

Old Tokyo: Nagoya Hotel, Nagoya, c. 1900.

When we arrived at Nagoya we were met and escorted to the Nagoya Hotel by a number of mounted police. This hotel is one of the worst I have ever seen. No attention was paid to us, the place was inconceivably dirty, and the meals were almost impossible. . . . There is only the one hotel in Nagoya, and although I have given a bad report of it, any one going there will have to stop there. I presume that is why the proprietor is so independent.
“A Woman’s World Tour in a Motor”, Harriet White Fisher, 1911, p.268-9

Nagoya Hotel (名古屋ホテル) in Nagoya City, Aichi Prefecture, Japan. The hotel, for many years the only accommodation for foreign visitors in the city, was opened in 1895 (Meiji 28) and located at 80 Katamitsukura-machi (竪三蔵町80). In 1907 (Meiji 40) it ceased business operations, but in 1919 (Taisho 8) it was bought by the Osaka Hotel. The hotel was burned down during WWII.
Meijishowa

Nara Hotel, Nara, Japan


Main Entrance (Photograph by Yamashita. Osaka.)
On back:
Cable Add. “Hotel” Tel. Nos. 153 & 166
Nara Hotel
Nara, Japan
Under Direct Management of Japanese Government Railways
Superior Accommodation. Quiet Surroundings.

Google Street View

Wikipedia.

1909 – Hotel begins operations. Run by Japan Hotels Corporation on land then owned by the Japanese Government Railways.
Nara Hotel: timeline

Old Tokyo: Nara Hotel, Nara, c. 1910. (pictures of inside of hotel c.1920)

Hotel Danieli, Venice


Hötel Royal Danieli – Venise
Approdo dalla riva e Vestibolo

Published G. Zanetti, Venezia

Street View (exterior)
Street view (inside)

Synonymous with the splendour of Venice, the Hotel Danieli is considered one of the most famous hotels in the world. Its remarkable history begins in the 14th century when the hotel’s main building—the Palazzo Dandolo—was commissioned by the noble Venetian family Dandolo. Of the four Dandolos that served as the Doge of Venice, Enrico garnered the greatest fame when he conquered Constantinople in 1204 and returned to the city with a bounty of gold, marble and Byzantine artwork, some of which was later incorporated into the Palazzo Dandolo’s interiors.

Several centuries later, in 1822, Giuseppe Dal Niel rented part of the palazzo and converted it into a hotel, renaming it after his nickname “Danieli”. Little by little he bought all the floors and finally became sole owner. It was in the winter of 1833, that the scandalous love affair between George Sand and Alfred de Musset unfolded in Room 10.

In 1895, Mr. Genovesi and the Campi Bozzi & C. become the new owners of the hotel. They completed expensive renovations, adding electrical power, vapour radiators, and elevators to further the hotel’s reputation for luxurious accommodation. At this time, the hotel was also connected via bridge to the Casa Nuova Palace—the former seat of the Customs office—located across the Rio del Vin.
Hotel Danieli, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice

Seikiro Ryokan, Miyazu, Japan


Seiki Hotel, Miyazu

The Seikiro ryokan is close to Ama no Hashidate in Kyoto Prefecture, one of the three most scenic spots in Japan, and was designated a tangible cultural asset in 2010. The traditional wooden ryokan offers a unique experience of life in Japan, from traditional hot spring bathing to Wi-Fi access throughout the building. Countless artists and writers have fallen in love with it since its establishment at the end of the 17th century. Many painters visited from Kyoto during the Edo period (1603-1867), and writers and poets including Ujo Noguchi, Kan Kikuchi, Eiji Yoshikawa and Hekigoto Kawahigashi were regulars in modern times. It has been the inspiration for beautiful fusuma (paper door) paintings, fine novels and poems, many of which are on display throughout the facility, in the large hall and in all guest rooms.
Seikiro