Blanchot Mosque, Dakar, Senegal


33.–Afrique Occidentale (Sénégal)
DAKAR. La Mosqueée

Published: Edmond Fortier, c.1920
Image is early 1910s (predating extention to building, see below) but card might be later. Possibly postmarked 1925.

Streetview

When it was built, in the 1880s, the Blanchot Mosque was in the heart of the African quarter. Europeans lived around the Place du Commerce/Kermel–what is now Place de l’Indépendance/Protet … Between the mid-to late 1880s and the 1930s–when it was encase in a new building–the mosque underwent major transformations. Of concern here is the first one that occurred somewhere between 1914 and 1917 and consisted of an extension on the main façade as well as two porches on the lateral facades. … Another incongruous element on both Saint-Louis and Blanchot is the presence of a clock on the left hand “minaret” tower. There must have been one on each tower because the one that subsists today is on the right hand minaret. One is hard pressed to asset that the towers in question bare any resemblance or remotely mimic the function of the minaret which is to amplify the call to prayer by means of the human voice as opposed to the Christian practice of employing bells to announce prayer times and also to mark the time. Thus the mere presence of clocks on these supposed minarets undermines their true purpose while ensuring that the coloniser’s preoccupation with time and punctuality.
“Making and Remaking Mosques in Senegal”, by Cleo Cantone, pp. 137-8

Also, A Mosque in a Mosque: Some Observations on the Rue Blanchot Mosque in Dakar & its Relation to Other Mosques in the Colonial Period, which has a view of the mosque after the 1910s extension (go down to paragraph 22).

The Rue Blanchot Mosque was Dakar’s only Friday Mosque in colonial times. It was built in the 1880s and was enlarged several times, in the 1910s, the 1930s and again in the 50s
Eric Ross, academic, which includes map saying location and site of original building within extensions.

Baalbek, Lebanon


BAALBEK (Syrie). Le Temple de Venus – La façade
Temple of Venus – the facade

On back:
Require PALMYRA HOTEL, the only first class hotel facing the ruins of Baalbek

Published: M. Harris, Baalbek.

Street View

The temple of Venus was built in the third century. It has a highly original design: built on a horseshoe-shaped platform, it consists of a circular shrine with a square entrance that is almost as big. The outer façade of the shrine is graced by five niches, which means that there is not a single square wall. In the niches are representations of doves and shells, which has been taken as evidence that the shrine was dedicated to Venus.
The square entrance probably was not one of those classical triangle-shaped pediments supported by columns. In fact, the straight horizontal line was broken by an elegant arch. This is certainly not without parallel, but the baroque ensemble suggests that the architect wanted to show off that he was the best and the brightest. He succeeded.

Livius.org

UNESCO Word Heritage listing
Rome in the Footsteps of an XVIIIth Century Traveller
The Baalbek Ruins in Lebanon (photos and write up from a tour of site)


Model of Baalbek (Photo by Franck Devedjian. from Wikipedia Commons

Plan of Temple Complex


BAALBEK (Syrie).BAALBEK (Syrie). La Grande Mosque arabe du VIIe siecle construite avec les colonnes de granit des Temples romains
The Grand Mosque of the 7th century built with the granite columns of Roman temples
On back:
Require PALMYRA HOTEL, the only first class hotel facing the ruins of Baalbek

Published: M. Harris, Baalbek.

Google Maps.

The Great Umayyad Mosque
Built in the first century after the Hegira, during the Umayyad reign, on the remains of a Byzantine church, it is the largest mosque of all Baalbek. It is 60 meters long and 50 meters wide. It contains in the middle 30 columns carried from roman temples neighboring the castle. Some of them are decorated with Corinthian capitals either of granite or of massive stones. The walls of the mosques rise for 8 meters. Its architecture is similar to the Umayyad mosque in Damascus. It includes a courtyard surrounded by porticoes and a square minaret that stands in the courtyard like a war tower. The mosque’s walls hold many inscriptions that are decrees belonging to the Mamluk age. It was left ruined for a long time during the Ottoman and the modern ages. Lately, it has been restored and rehabilitated to perform regular prayers in there.
Destination Lebanon

Interior photo

Umayayd Route, Baalbek: photos at bottom of page two (pdf)