Ploughing land. QUETTA
Dated: 6 November 1912
Published: K.C Marrott
A row of shops stood on the road that led up from the market place to the castle gates. These shops sold farm supplies, and after the cattle market closed they were occupied by a pet shop and a travel agent. The livestock markets were moved from various other streets in the city to the ‘Castle Ditches’ in 1738; before then pigs for example had been sold at ‘Hog Hill’ (now Timber Hill) and horses in Tombland.
…the livestock market south of St Peter Mancroft was becoming overwhelmingly crowded on market days. Eventually part of the eastern side of the castle mound was levelled, and in 1738 the livestock sales were moved to this new site. The old hay market remained on the old site for more than a century, until it was also moved to the new livestock market site in the early 19th century. The new livestock market was one of the last significant livestock markets in a British city centre, and developed a reputation as “the cruellest in the country
Card has “1907” on the back, after publisher’s name (Dr. Trenkler & Co). It very well be the year. It is of that era.
On the back:
Union Stock Yards, Chicago.–Showing some of the pens which hold the many thousands of cattle which arrive daily, and are slaughtered and shipped to every point of the globe. Two of the largest packing houses in the world in the background.
No date, but maybe c.1910 based on card.